When I go to a new city, I always want to learn the most that I can about the history, the culture, and what makes this place unique. I want to experience it not only as a tourist, but also a local and a scholar. I want to leave my trip knowing something about the area that I didn’t know before. Tours are the best ways to do all of that.
There are so many different types of tours out there to choose from and sometimes it can be rather overwhelming., but I am going to give you some ideas on what tours to take when you go on your next adventure!
- Food Tours- First and Foremost, this is my favorite type of tour! Who doesn’t love food, am I right? And what better way to learn some of the culture than to try some of the foods an area is known for. Now, there are two versions of a food tour; the tourist attraction food tour, which is great. You know, don’t leave here until you try this place…. Or the local food tour, where you can try some of the restaurants that the locals only know about. On my podcast Love You a Brunch, I spoke to three different city tour group owners who told me all about what makes their food tours so special. Listen here- http://loveyouabrunch.libsyn.com/love-you-a-brunch-ep-11
- Haunted Tours- You have to be careful when you are booking these. I love them, when they are done right, but when they are done wrong…they are just…WRONG! New Orleans has some great haunted walking tours that you can find here- http://www.hauntedhistorytours.com/ . The best parts about these tours are you get to walk around the city in the evening safely in a group, be told not only about the scary ghost stories of the city, but also learn about the architecture, the history of New Orleans and any other little detail the tour guide can think of. Now, on the other hand, we went on a haunted tour in Las Vegas and it was just WRONG. Instead of telling stories, they created a ghost hunt, a very lame ghost hunt with fake apps and tools, and then proceeded to take us to where the recent murders of children in the area had been. Not my idea of fun! Make sure you read reviews before you book your Haunted Tour.
- Self Guided Tours- These can be difficult if you don’t have good resources, but with the internet, you can find out just about anything. Self guided tours are nice because you can go at your own pace, stay as long as you want at one spot or the other or skip over something that you don’t think will be as interesting. My favorite self-guided tour is the Freedom Trail in Boston. It’s easy to follow because of the brick guidelines Boston has laid out for you and you hit every great historical spot and eatery. Plus, it feels like you are on your own “National Treasure” hunt. Check it out here- http://www.freetoursbyfoot.com/boston-tours/freedom-trail-map-guide/
- Adventure or Sporting Tours- I love to mix these in on our trips to bring some extra excitement into some of the low key tours and activities on our vacations. Fishing tours like this one http://www.fishbaltimore.com/ , Swamp tours – http://www.gatorsandghosts.com/airboat/ and Whale watching tours – http://www.pugetsoundexpress.com/tours/ are among the tours in this section. Everyone will love one of these types of excursions, even if they think they won’t.
- Architecture and Fine Art Tours- Yes, you can visit all the cities architectural wonders by yourself, but it is often better to have an expert tell you about them and take you to the offbeat places you might not have thought of. Chicago has a great one- https://www.architecture.org/experience-caf/tours/?transportation=40 Are you an Art Lover? Well, Fine Art Tours know where all the greats are and can tell you all about ones you’ve never heard of, but should have. This tour group in Philadelphia has some incredible art tours https://www.muralarts.org/tours/
- Sightseeing Tours- This tour is the epitome of a vacation must-do. From movie sets to iconic buildings and destinations, the Sightseeing Tour is the one to book. Atalanta has a great Walking Dead tour https://www.viator.com/tours/Atlanta/Walking-Dead-Filming-Location-Tour-in-Haralson/d784-16315P1 for those of you who love the show as much as my sisters do. While tours in Los Angeles can show you all the hot spots https://www.adayinlatours.com/ and you can sit back in luxury while seeing them.
Maybe you are a sit in your hotel room or stay on the beach everyday type of traveler, and if you are, this post is not for you. Unless….you want to take one day of your next vacation and try out one of the types of tours I just told you about. Use the internet, search your destination, see whats out there and take a trip on the wild side!